Honor a Legacy:
Celebrating a Century of Service
"For nearly a century, the American Legion Auxiliary has been serving, helping, and meeting the needs of our nation's veterans, military, and their families—both here and abroad."
In the spirit of Service, Not Self, the mission of the American Legion Auxiliary is to support The American Legion and to honor the sacrifice of those who serve by enhancing the lives of our veterans, military, and their families, both at home and abroad. For God and Country, we advocate for veterans, educate our citizens, mentor youth, and promote patriotism, good citizenship, peace and security.
Did you know that the American Legion Auxiliary is world's largest women's service organization? We are nonprofit and nonpartisan. Chartered by Congress in 1919, we are part of the American Legion family. More than 600,000 women are currently members of more than 10,000 units.
Women of the American Legion Auxiliary—millions of women—for 100 years, have served veterans, active military, and their families in countless ways, embracing the motto of "Service Not Self":
- helping to establish VA hospitals
- lobbying for the rehabilitation of veterans
- raising awareness and funds through the Poppy program
- equipping young women to become leaders through the Girls State and Girls Nation programs
- creating the Auxiliary Emergency Fund for critical relief for its members
- donating time and money in times of crisis
- establishing scholarship funds for children of military personnel
- helping veterans heal through art and music (sponsoring National Veterans Creative Arts Festival)
- founding the ALA Call to Service AmeriCorps in 2009